Westbound I-290View the Westbound I-290 photo gallery
Construction began in October 2017 to reconstruct Westbound I-290/Ida B. Wells Drive from the Old Post Office to Racine Avenue, the Westbound I-290 bridge over I-90/94, and the Ida B. Wells Drive viaduct. Construction was completed in the fall of 2019.
The project limits extended from east of Canal Street to west of Racine Avenue. New Westbound I-290 features include:
- Full pavement and median barrier wall reconstruction
- New retaining wall on the north side of I-290
- Repairs to existing retaining wall along the CTA Blue Line and entrance to the subway tunnel
- Repairs to Canal Street exit ramp, including the installation of retained backfill to support existing bridge section
- Drainage, high mast interchange lighting, signaling, landscaping, and pavement marking improvements
During construction, a minimum of two lanes were maintained at all times. Initially, Westbound I-290 traffic was shifted towards the north to construct the insides of the bridges. Traffic was then shifted onto the newly constructed mainline lanes while the outside lanes were constructed.